EMSR. Early Morning Success Ritual.
Despite the fact that it sounds straight out of a hokey motivational speaker, I love this acronym. I’ve been doing my own EMSR for many months without even realizing it had a name. Ha!
Here is my morning routine. I’d love to hear yours:
– Wake at 5:00m if I can stand it – 5:30 is the latest usually. No alarm. Alarms ruin the start to my day. It’s somebody telling me what I’m supposed to do, and my natural tendancy is to always resist somebody telling me what to do.
– Coffee from the Keurig. Mandatory accelerant. I can still have a great morning and feel good without it, but I love that I go from 0 to 90 so FAST!
– Reading. When I feel like my motivation or energy is low, I go to the classics like Dale Carnegie, Napolean Hill, Richard Bach, or good ol Pirsig and read a chunk of them. If things are humming along in life, I’ll be reading something new. Either a business book or something related to sales training, company culture, entrepreneurship, selling, or associations.
– Writing. Usually when I mix coffee with reading, creative writing comes fast and big. Since I am not a true creative person, I am a synthetically creative person. That means that my creativity comes from combining ideas that I’ve seen elsewhere to new concepts, places, and angles. So obviously reading + caffeine causes synthetic creator in me to GO. Other times, it takes me going out for a run or a swim and then the creative part happens later in the morning. Usually the writing is applied to this blog, but about 30-40% of the time I apply it to other areas of the business that need creative attention: web site copy, brochures, program books, presentations, etc…
– Kid prep time. I wake up Michael to prep him for 1st grade. I adore our morning routine. He’s almost always very positive about waking up and excited about school. Not sure how he has this, I don’t remember ever having it. I prep his Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free breakfast cereal, snack for school, and lunch while I down half of a wheat-bagel and my 2nd or 3rd cup of coffee.
– School delivery. Sure, the bus picks up right at the end of the driveway and Michael actually loves to ride the bus, but I enjoy those 8 minutes together in the car too much to give them up. It’s our morning routine together and we talk about the neatest stuff as we watch the sunrise, the cow fields between home and school. Lately, we’ve been listening to BOAZ POWER CD– my friend Boaz’s 4-5 minute clips about something positive to think about. Again, sounds hokey, but we both love it.
– Exercise comes next! Ah yes, my true favorite part of the day. I go down to Lake Peachtree in Peachtree City ( just about 4 minutes from my house) and run on the trails. Peachtree City has literally hundreds of miles of trails for running, golf carts, bikes, walking, and just plain fun. I jog while the high-schoolers stream down the trails on their golf carts on the way to school. There are always LOTS of people running, every day, every time of day here. It’s a pretty healthy place to live.
Then I get on with the day… that’s my EMSR, and it’s what keeps me going!