Music is serious energy for me. It helps me un-focus… and that’s how I move forward. I know some really intense folks who say that music does not help them as much as silence. My problem is that silence allows my mind to focus on the urgent and immediate rather than the important. When I engage with great music, either in my car, on a run, cruising on the boat, or even while flying an airplane (yeah, maybe a little risky) – my mind comes out of gear, and that’s when the epiphanies and light bulbs pop.
Here is my list, but I’d love to hear what music, songs, genre’s, artists inspire and motivate you. Add yours in the comments below.
ps. Just try and say I have narrow taste in music after you sample this list!
- Widor’s Toccata (but only played very, very, very loudly)
- Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley – especially while on a long run in the woods
- Anything on the Great Organ at PRUMC by Scott Atchison
- Amazing Grace from Braveheart (bagpipes rule)
- The soundtrack to the closing scene of Rudy
- Everything about this
- Young Forever – Jay-Z
- Stronger – Kanye West
- Beer for my Horses - Toby Keith
- Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season – Jimmy Buffet
- You Raise Me Up – Celtic Woman
- Fix by James Blackshaw
- Dog Days are Over by Florence and the Machine
- Wonderful World by Israel ‘IZ’ Kamakawiwo’ole
- Hallelujah by k.d. lang
- Battle Hymn of the Republic – this one by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
- God of Our Fathers
- O Holy Night – by anyone
- The Star Spangled Banner
So, did you find that got you a little fired up?