Throughout the week, every week, I encounter entrepreneurs who are in between companies or for one reason or another looking for the next adventure. They’ve either sold a company, or closed one down, or were on a team and decided to leave.
Entrepreneurs are an impatient species. We don’t like to sit around and ponder the universe. We don’t do well in quiet times. We always need the next hit. I’ve been through this myself, and the absolute best advice that I received, literally changed my life.
This advice came in the form of a thought-provoking question. The question is very simple.
WHO do you want to work with? Not what, why, when, or where. Just WHO.
Selecting the co-founder, team, investors, partners, etc. is really and truly all that matters. Your decision is more simple than you realize. Ask any successful entrepreneur.
- Ideas (What) – This will change a dozen times in the first year.
- Why – Your why, at this point, is because you are an entrepreneur. You can’t deny who you are. You build things, grow things, sell things. You need to be on a team that fits with who you are.
- When – You always have more runway than you think. There’s no hurry. Slow down, wait for the perfect fit.
- Where – Geography is irrelevant these days.
- How – Let’s be honest. True entrepreneurs don’t care about the how in much anything they do.
The saying “hire slow, and fire fast” is infinitely more true when it comes to selecting a co-founder and team for your next venture. The slower the better. Selecting the right WHO is the biggest factor in setting your next trajectory.